With the advent of globalization, spirituality is no longer restricted to the eastern world. Today, the ideals of spirituality have spread across many cultures. Millions of people have adopted a spiritual outlook towards life and popularized this way of being.
Spirituality has been adopted by many celebrities worldwide. Technology and the media have given us a deeper look at their values and beliefs. What’s great about this is that we get to see the positive impact of spirituality on their lives. Before we dive into this, let’s understand what it means to be spiritual.
The word spirit comes from the Latin word spiritus meaning ‘breath’. The verb spiro means ‘to breathe’ or ‘be alive.’ As you can see, originally, the term ‘spiritual’ referred to a mortal being. Over time the meaning of the word spirit or spiritual has developed into a broader philosophy.
If we take a deeper look at spirituality, we can see that it encompasses a broad spectrum of perspectives. It is hard to choose a single definition to describe it in its entirety because the most important definition is the individual meaning it has in each person’s life.
Christina Puchalski (MD) is the director of the George Washington Institute for Spirituality and Health. She explains that “spirituality is the aspect of humanity that refers to the way individuals seek and express meaning and purpose and the way they experience their connectedness to the moment, to self, to others, to nature, and to the significant or sacred.”
A major aspect of spirituality includes a feeling of connectedness to the universe, nature, people, and animals. This feeling of oneness leads to the development of virtues such as compassion, empathy, and kindness. Other aspects include belief in a higher power and a deep focus on the inner self.
Another thing to keep in mind is that spirituality and religion are not entirely different nor entirely similar. A spiritual person can be religious and a religious person can be spiritual. Spirituality comes from within.
Here’s a look at 10 celebrities who lead a spiritual life!
- Oprah: The beloved talk-show host and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey, openly talks about her spiritual beliefs. After having been through a traumatic childhood, Oprah has grown to become one of the most popular and cherished figures of her time. She believes in being present in the now and being grateful for each new day. She practices spirituality in many ways every day of her life.
Oprah says that she has always been spiritual. Being raised by her grandmother on a little acre in Mississippi, she was born into the church and was surrounded by the ways of the church. She believes that she doesn’t know what the future holds, but knows who holds the future. Oprah has also worked closely with Deepak Chopra in exploring meditative practices.
2. Angelina Jolie: Famous for her role in Tomb Raider, Angelina Jolie gives us an insight into her spiritual beliefs. She believes that we are not alone in the world. The actor/director claims that she started embracing her spiritual side after interacting with Louis Zamperini.
Zamperini was the subject of her film ‘Unbroken.’ His story of being a war survivor and Olympian inspired Jolie to explore her spirituality in a much deeper way. The six children’s mother believes that there is a greater power than us but unsure of what to call it.
3. Jennifer Anniston: The star of the hit TV series Friends – Jennifer Anniston, is deeply passionate about meditation and yoga. She considers herself “very spiritual” and even has a spiritual tattoo on her wrist. The tattoo is of a double eleven (11 11), which she says is her lucky number. The numbers are often referred to as “angel numbers,” symbolic of guardian angels taking you on the right path.
Anniston also reveals that she has been part of a spiritual ritual called the “Goddess Circle” for the last 30 years. Swearing by it, she says that the circle is an all-female spiritual event that allows women to be vulnerable and nurtured. It’s a place where women support each other while having fun and carrying out spiritual rituals together.
4. Emma Watson: If you’re a fan of the Harry Potter series, you will be pleased to know the beloved Hermoine Granger is a spiritualist. The actress has starred in controversial films such as ‘Noah,’ and ‘Regression.’ Both films have tackled topics such as religion and satanism. When asked about her own beliefs, she says that she considers herself a spiritual person. She practices yoga and meditation and hopes to become a certified teacher one day. She is also interested in Buddhism and is an advocate of its ideals.
Emma explains that her father is not religious at all and that her mother is a very spiritual person. She feels that she is somewhere in between both those opinions. She is, however, fascinated with religion and the sense of community that comes with it.
5. Richard Gere: The actor has been practicing Buddhism for many years. He is a follower of the Dalai Lama and his teachings and even visited him on a trip to India. He is a strong advocate of Buddhist practices and supports other public figures who have spread awareness about Tibet’s freedom.
His first encounter with Buddhist dharma was in his early 20s. He claims that he wasn’t particularly happy, like most young men. After studying Zen for about five years, Gere traveled to Nepal where he spent time with Tibetan monks. A notable moment for him was when he met the Dalai Lama and chose to become his student. The book titled ‘The Spirituality of Richard Gere,’ encapsulates his entire spiritual journey.
6. Justin Bieber: Contrary to his earlier reputation, Justin Bieber is now a deeply spiritual man. His strong beliefs have helped him grow and change. One source says that he is in a much better place than he was before. His faith has led him to lead a happier and healthier life as a husband and artist.
Instagram has also given Bieber’s followers a look at just how spiritual he is. He’s talked about it, he’s written about it, and even has tattoos about it. It’s no secret that he’s a spiritual man of faith. A source close to Bieber says that he is surrounded by people who encourage him to be the right type of man.
7. Hugh Jackman: Yes, our beloved Wolverine of the X-Men is a spiritualist too! Hugh Jackman has been open about his spiritual life and beliefs. He says that meditation and relaxation are an important part of his life.
Jackman practices a transcendental form of meditation that keeps him happy, healthy and gives him a break from his busy life. In an interview with Oprah he said that while meditating, he can let go of everything. He is able to let go of all his roles and tap into the powerful source within meditation.
8. Gillian Anderson: Star of the old TV series X-files and the more recent Sex Education, Gillian Anderson is a believer of spirituality. She reportedly believes in paranormal activity, angels, ghosts, and psychic readings. The star believes there is a natural order to things. She says that all the information in the world is here with us and it’s just a matter of tuning into it. We are here to learn, grow, and to enrich our souls.
Anderson has felt that over the years she has learned to appreciate the feeling of trust and safety that comes with spirituality. She believes that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that there is a reason for all of us to be here.
9. Rainn Wilson: The star of the brilliant comedy The Office speaks openly about his Baha’i faith. Baha’i is a religion that focuses on the worth of all religions and the unity of people. Something that initially started in Persia and the Middle East has now spread worldwide.
Wilson says that as a member of the faith, he is able to reap the benefits of its themes and ideas. He says that there are a lot of spiritual and mystical elements in the faith. These aspects help fuel his creativity as an artist. He finds similarities between the creative process and the spiritual journey.
10. Joe Rogan: One of the most woke celebrities of our time, Joe Rogan is an American comedian, talk show host, actor, and podcast host. His fame on Youtube and his recent million dollar deal with Spotify has put him on top of the map.
He is a firm believer in ‘one-consciousness.’ He says that we have moved from ways of viewing everything as a separate entity to a new understanding that we are all one. His talks on ‘The Joe Rogan Experience,’ as well as his podcasts, cover a wide range of topics, including spirituality.